I am a people-centered experience researcher and strategist focused on delivering actionable insights, analysis, and strategic roadmaps. I incorporate both technical and creative methodologies to guide innovation activities and create tangible business value for my clients. I strive to understand people, how and why we behave the way we do, so that we can create better products, services, systems, and environments that evoke the experiences that matter most. I lead foundational research efforts and generate key insights to better understand what people need and desire most, even if they don’t fully realize it themselves. I’m an expert at “reading the tea leaves” to articulate the experiences people will want now and next.
vp of strategy (2015 - 2018)
Scansion is a boutique innovation strategy and research consultancy specializing in customer- or user-centered experience design, insights, and strategy. As both practitioner and managing partner, I wear multiple hats at the company and act as the knowledge expert in business strategy and analytics. We embrace a multi-disciplinary approach and collaborative working style both internally and with clients and external partners. My role includes:
- Acting as project and engagement lead for major client projects, including the scoping of proposals (RFP process), project design & management, and client management.
- Lead strategy and research activities, including
- Vendor/partner management
- Creation of screeners, interview discussion guides & testing exercises
- Competitive analysis & benchmarking studies
- Generation & synthesis of key insights
- Storyboards & annotated UX wireframes
- Prototypes & proof of concept videos
- Frameworks, journey maps, strategic roadmaps
- Creation of final reports, presentations, and white papers
- Lead and design project activities, including
- Expert and executive stakeholder interviews
- Co-creation and socialization workshops
- Primary research through ethnography, IDIs, focus groups, ride- or shop-alongs, in-person intercepts
- Survey design & final data analysis
- Develop new company capabilities, including strategic foresight, market trends and forecasting, scenario analysis, and built the prototype of an experience tracking tool.
Director of strategy (June 2011 - May 2013)
Favorite Medium is a global design and development agency where I lead product strategy efforts and acted as a project manager and account lead. My role was to:
- Develop and implement the product strategy offering.
- Act as account lead, project manager and occasionally technical project manager for agile development sprints.
- Support corporate strategy efforts, key business reporting to the CEO and Principals.
- Provide design and business strategy consulting services
- General oversight of accounting and CRM tools
- Day to day management of financial record keeping and systems management
- Conduct market research when needed
- Provide guidance on project scoping and proposal writing
- Represent Favorite Medium services and team
Hot Studio, Inc.
Director of Business Management (June 2011 - May 2013)
At Hot Studio, I was in charge of managing all aspects of the day to day business activities of a two studio, $16 million design consultancy. My role went beyond just business operations; I was key to turning the business around and making it profitable and efficient. Some of my responsibilities included:
- Developing and maintaining revenue models, annual budgets, monthly revenue forecasts, corporate level business strategies and initiatives, and high level scenario analysis driving top line revenue growth and net margin improvement
- Creating and managing key operational systems, processes and reporting methodologies such as sales pipeline reporting, job pricing and management, project actualization, staff utilization and efficiency, project resourcing, freelancer budget tracking, marketing management
- Implementing a primary system to manage pipeline opportunities, project profitability and time keeping, staff resourcing, accounting and expenses, financial reporting, marketing and client contacts
- Developed and refined sales pipeline tracking process and account development methodology, resulting in a 20% increase in quarterly gross revenue
- Implementing business processes and providing data driven analytics/reporting to support the executive leadership team in effective and timely decision making
- Working closely with department leads to coordinate efficient resourcing needs on projects and support strategic business initiatives
- Managing and negotiating client contracts and procurement relationships
- Creating and managing financial, process and contractual aspects of all freelancer and vendor relationships
- Overseeing external financial advisor relationships and reporting to bank partners and tax advisory
- Implementing online credit and cash management controls and facilities
California College of the Arts
Masters of Business Administration in Design Strategy (August 2009 - May 2011)
My graduating thesis project was to create a business plan and pitch for a company we would create in the hopes of venture funding. Our project was selected as the top finalist out of the class and was eventually pitched to venture capital firms on Sandhill Road.
- Balances the perspectives of systems thinking, integrative design thinking, sustainability, innovation, corporate finance and accounting, entrepreneurship, brand strategy, scenario planning and analysis, and generative leadership in a holistic strategic framework
- Focuses on the study of design techniques, including customer-centered research, prototyping, critique, and iteration, and well as business metrics
Program Analyst (May 2009 - April 2011)
As a blend between a Program Manager and Business Analyst, I acted as the liaison between the project world and finance operations. I balanced my time at frog with a full time academic commitment to the Design Strategy MBA.
- Designed, developed, and rolled out to eight studios (including international) the financial estimating and tracking tool for the business development and program management team.
- Streamlined pipeline and forecasting processes for smooth project initiation across two major client accounts
- Created financial and business analysis and reporting for the executive team, including profitability reporting
- Supported multi-disciplinary proposal teams with writing proposals and scoping project plans and contracts
- Oversaw day to day relationships in support of client services, major account management and managed single track program teams
- Created efficiencies in PM and operational methods and trained teams across multiple studio locations
(backpacked around the world 8/08 - 2/09)
Director of Business Development (November 2007 - August 2008)
- Marketed and priced projects to created 3D digital renderings and animations to architecture firms, real estate developers, interior designers, industrial designers, and other animation studios
- Created new relationships with top 20% of targeted prospects and closed four of firms's largest projects
- Developed a pipeline of work by identifying, engaging, and tracking prospects through research, industry events, direct outreach, and networking
- Closed business with top real estate development firms bringing a 55% increase in revenue
- Expanded client base by 30% and deepened existing client relationships
- Engaged and stewarded key contact through initial qualifying conversations to project kick-off and post project follow-up
NYPPEX Private Markets
Senior Vice President (July 2007 - November 2007)
- Developed pipeline of opportunities through direct outreach to executive officers of private firms and General Partners of Venture Capital and Private Equity funds
- Established the early presence of the West Coast office
Wells Fargo Bank
After nearly seven years at Wells Fargo, I have been able to touch on everything ranging from in-depth database architecture, reporting and querying to working on a sales and trading desk to traveling the country to bring financial products to market. I spent my early years doing quantitative analysis for the International Banking division, then moved to the sales side of the business acting as an advising specialist in alternative asset classes and options. I became an expert in creating structured financial products and partnered with multiple bank channels to introduce a new product to market.
Derivatives Sales Representative (December 2005 - June 2007)
- Priced and created structured investment product offerings for wealth management sales force
- Marketed investment offerings through brokerage offices by conducting educational seminars in regional sales meetings
- Increased product offerings by 500% in 6 months and increased year over year revenue by $16 million
- Implemented new product line offerings to retail market, tested initially in Losa Angeles market then launched nationally to retail branches through personal bankers
Foreign Exchange Sales Specialist (February 2005 - December 2005)
- Provided client services and strategic recommendations to corporate clients on currency exchange rate hedging strategies
- Executed FX hedging transactions by pricing and covering trades on behalf of a $30MM+ portfolio of corporate clients
- Created educational presentations, technical analysis and option strategy tools for top clients within territory
Business Analyst (February 2003 - February 2005)
- Provided key financial and business analysis to executive management of the International Division, including forecasting, budgeting, and strategic planning
- Design options training initiatives and built currency exchange rate and derivatives models
Risk Analyst (July 2002 - March 2003)
- Created daily profit and loss model and trading credit limit monitoring system to leverage greater control over operational procedures
Accounting Specialist and Investigator (September 2001 - July 2002)
- Maintained global interbank accounting and payment systems
Haas School of Business, University of California at Berkeley
Bachelors of Science, Business Administration
One of the most competitive programs in the country, I was accepted into this major by maintaining a competitive grade point average, writing an entrance essay, submitting multiple recommendations, and demonstrating leadership in extracurricular activities.